This reverts commit
WriteFreely is a beautifully pared-down blogging platform that's simple on the surface, yet powerful underneath.
It's designed to be flexible and share your writing widely, so it's built around plain text and can publish to the fediverse via ActivityPub. It's easy to install and light enough to run on a Raspberry Pi.
- Start a blog for yourself, or host a community of writers
- Form larger federated networks, and interact over modern protocols like ActivityPub
- Write on a fast, dead-simple, and distraction-free editor
- Format text with Markdown
- Organize posts with hashtags
- Create static pages
- Publish drafts and let others proofread them by sharing a private link
- Create multiple lightweight blogs under a single account
- Export all data in plain text files
- Read a stream of other posts in your writing community
- Build more advanced apps and extensions with the well-documented API
- Designed around user privacy and consent
We offer two kinds of hosting services that make WriteFreely deployment painless: Write.as Pro for individuals, and Write.as for Teams for businesses. Besides saving you time and effort, both services directly fund WriteFreely development and ensure the long-term sustainability of our open source work.
Start a personal blog on Write.as, our flagship instance. Built to eliminate setup friction and preserve your privacy, Write.as helps you start a blog in seconds. It supports custom domains (with SSL) and multiple blogs / pen names per account. Read more here.
Write.as for Teams gives your organization, business, or open source project a clutter-free space to share updates or proposals and build your collective knowledge. We take care of hosting, upgrades, backups, and maintenance so your team can focus on writing.
WriteFreely has minimal requirements to get up and running — you only need to be able to run an executable.
Note this is currently alpha software. We're quickly moving out of this v0.x stage, but while we're in it, there are no guarantees that this is ready for production use.
WriteFreely is available in these package repositories:
Ready to hack on your site? Get started with our developer guide.
Read about using Docker in the documentation.
Before contributing anything, please read our Contributing Guide. It describes the correct channels for submitting contributions and any potential requirements.
Licensed under the AGPL.